In 2012, over 2 million people were injured in motor vehicle accidents in the United States. When a motor vehicle accident occurs, it is easy to become disoriented and confused. However, in the aftermath of an accident it is important to obtain crucial information. Below is a list of critical steps to take immediately after being involved in a motor vehicle collision.
Steps to Take Following a Car Accident
- Ensure Safety and Contact the police. Immediately following an accident call the police to file an accident report. Always call the police whether or not there are injuries – even if you think that you can resolve the situation yourself. The damages may actually be more serious than it seems.
- Get the names of any witnesses. It is important to document the details of the accident, in case of legal action. Get the names, addresses and phone numbers of any potential witnesses before they leave the scene.
- Collect insurance information. Write down the other party’s insurance information, including the insurance company’s name and policy number. Be sure to take down the other driver’s name and remember exactly where the accident occurred.
- Protect Evidence. Take as many photos as possible of the accident site, the vehicles and people involved, and anything else that might have bearing on how and why the accident occurred.
- Do not admit responsibility. Only discuss the accident with the police, and even then, never admit fault.
- Seek medical attention. If you have been seriously injured, you probably will be taken directly to a hospital emergency room. If you are not seriously injured, however, do not assume that you are uninjured – many injuries, like whiplash, do not immediately appear. If you do begin to suffer ill effects from the crash, make and appointment with your doctor and follow the doctor’s instructions as to care and follow-up.
- Notify your insurance carrier.
- Get Legal Assistance.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, contact the Lambert Firm to meet with an experienced New Orleans car accident attorney today. The attorneys at the Lambert Firm will work with you to explain the next steps and answer your questions. Call us today at 1-800-521-1750.